Nothing in life is free … except for these events, activities and more!
Each month, we gather and list some of the free stuff available on the Emerald Coast. Here’s what we found for March:
• The Kilted Man performance: The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host Matthew
Gurnsey, also known as the Kilted Man, in performance at 2 p.m. Friday, March 10 at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave. Gurnsey performs Celtic music intertwined with tales of wayward voyages and unrequited love. For more information, contact The Friends Guild at email@example.com or the Destin Library at 837-8572.
• Jazz competition: Jazz Pensacola invites the community to the live finals of the 2017 Student Jazz Competition. The seventh annual competition is 7 p.m. March 17 at the Ashmore Fine Arts Auditorium, 1000 College Boulevard, Pensacola State College. The competition will feature three divisions: college instrumental, high school instrumental and jazz vocal. Judges will announce winners in conclusion.
• Recital series: The Fine and Performing Arts Division of Northwest Florida State College will present a series of free vocal and instrumental recitals featuring NWF State students who college faculty selects to perform. Recitals are alternate Fridays at 3 p.m. in the Tyler Recital Hall of the Mattie Kelly Arts Center in Niceville. Spring Recitals are scheduled March 24, April 7 and April 21, with an Honors Recital April 28. Free seating is on a first-come basis with no ticket required. The students who will perform and the selections to be played are posted on the Arts Center website the week of each recital. The afternoon recitals run from 45-90 minutes. For more information, contact the Fine Arts Division Office at 729-5362.
• Concert in the Park: The City of DeFuniak Springs will present the free event Concert in the Park with Dwayne Langston. Langston combines traditional country music with contemporary country music. He will perform from 3-5 p.m. Saturday, March 11 at the Lake Yard Ampitheater, Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs. For more information, call 892-8500.
• Sip and shop: Baytowne Wharf will offer an evening of champagne, live music and shopping
during its Bubbly Baytowne at 5 p.m. March 16. Guests can stop in various retail merchants and enjoy a selection of premium champagnes and the sounds of live music in the Events Plaza. This event is free and for 21 and up only. The Village of Baytowne Wharf is at 244 Fisherman’s Cove, Miramar Beach.
• Awareness Celebration: Families can learn about seagrasses, observe marine life, play games, kayak, fish and eat at the 17th Annual Seagrass Awareness Celebration. The free event is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 18 at Shoreline Park South in Gulf Breeze. Attendees are encouraged to bring water, sunscreen, hat, water shoes and lawn chairs. For more information, call Chris Verlinde at 777-7884 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.